March 03, 2006

being filipino and canadian

The past few weeks have forced me on a few different levels to tap into both my canadian-ness and filipino-ness. Two weeks ago I took part in a studio recorded panel discussion on canadian politics, particularly on the recent federal elections. I sat in a discussion panel with four other canadians, and the host, who was also canadian. It was fascinating and nerve-racking, given the fact that I had never done anything like that and I am not all that politically savvy. I was defaulted into the panel being one of the few canadians in bradford. The show might air this weekend but I haven't heard anything about it, but will definitely post some information once I find out.

This past week I also got to sit in on a roundtable discussion with the Philippine Ambassador to the UK to discuss peace issues and sustainable development in the Philippines. I sat amongst much more qualified and informed Filipino students. A wiser person would equate ignorance with keeping her mouth shut, but I suppose, I'm not that wise of a person. Regardless, it was a special time. I got to know the other students here (there were 10 of us in all) and I learned a lot more about the Philippines. I am starting to recognise and acknowledge the Philippines as one of the places I would like to consider for work. If you had asked me five years ago, I would have said 'not a chance' but there's been some stirring in me for the past three years about the Philippines. We'll see what that means and where that takes me.

On a another level, I am thinking of looking to some degree on identity for my dissertation. On an academic note, I think it will be useful to consider how we shape our understanding of ourselves and how we differentiate ourselves from 'the other'. On a personal note, I think it might help me consider how I define myself and recognise some of the labels I give myself to attach meaning to my personhood and hopefully explore some of the questions that I have been asking myself for the past few years. It's all in the preliminary stages of the dissertation right now. I don't suppose I'll really know what I'm saying until the night before its submission.

No comments: