June 02, 2005

God wills it

Image hosted by TinyPic.com
Image hosted by TinyPic.com

I am unimpressed by Kingdom of Heaven but I left fascinated and intrigued (and it’s not just because of Orlando Bloom I hasten to add). I appreciated it, and not for the battle scenes or the horses and the combats, but for the questions around faith, motivations, and perceptions of God and what a good and gracious God is.

A blacksmith Balian, son of a respected knight in Jerusalem Godfrey of Ibelin, after a series of events decides to travel to Jerusalem with his father to search for redemption. The Christian King Baldwin tries to hold the kingdom in peace where Muslims and Christians can live together in cooperation but both the Christian and Muslim communities had eager fighters who were waiting for an opportune moment to truly create this 'kingdom of heaven' - either for the sake of religious zeal or personal greed.

But for King Baldwin and Balian's father, SIr Godfrey, the kingdom of heaven is this, the oath that Balian was knighted with, to
be without fear in the face of his enemies; brave and upright; speak the truth always even if it leads to death; safeguard the helpless and do no wrong. It was about protecting the city's peace and his own personal integrity, and those that could not protect themselves.

What is true religion then? Is it about making sacred the city of Jerusalem, to walk where Christ walked and pray where Christ prayed? Or is it to love those who Christ loved? Is it to fight or to surrender?

There are a lot about this film that leads me to rate it second class, including the numerous stock Hollywood epic trademarks - the forbidden love, big been-done-before battle scenes, rags to riches hero - as well as the unconvincing hero (unfortunately) and the slow-motion-happy-editor. I do remember coming out feeling unentertained but intrigued.
In a time where Christian/Muslim relationship is volatile, it's a brave move create a film that addresses the Crusades, a sore point for both Muslims as well as Christians. I thought I would be cringing (which I did, but not because of what I thought I would necessarily be cringing about...) at what I expected to be ignorant Hollywood portrayals of black and white Christianity and Islam, instead what I saw went beyond religion to a question of values - peace, justice, power.

No comments: