March 04, 2005

Cyber lingo

As proud as I am to have started something so technical as a blog (I know that sounds a little pathetic, what can I do, I'm a little bit of a technophobe) I realise that I am also somewhat behind with the lingo of the techno-times. Thanks to today's Canadian Globe & Mail I might be as good with my techie lingo as I am with my hip hop.

Being dooced: "In the strange world of urban slang, being dooced means losing your job for something you wrote on your blog or website," says Britain's Independent newspaper.

Cyberbangers: "As authorities crack down on gang activity on the streets," reports The San Jose (Calif.) Mercury News, "self-proclaimed gangsters are going on-line, turning portions of websites . . . into virtual turfs where rivals exchange threats and 'throw up' their numbers and neighbourhood names under the anonymity of the Internet."

Facebooking: On many North American campuses, says The Kansas City Star, "facebook" is now a verb, as in "I facebooked you last night." It's not an insult. Students post their profiles and photos on the website http://www.thefacebook.com, then choose the amount of access they want to give other students. It was created by Harvard students at first. Students need an ".edu" e-mail address at a Facebook-admitted college to register.

Modders: Computer "modifiers," who enjoy revving up a PC's performance and dressing up computer cases much as an auto enthusiast would customize a car.

No comments: