March 04, 2005

Friday night

Tonight is a Friday night at home. After an eventful week, the comforts of a warm and peaceful home is so satisfying.

I've made more of an effort this past week to engage with the cultural energy in London. I've been living in London for about 18 months, spending the first few in a cultural blitz but finding my enthusiasm for all things new eventually fizzling into uninspired intentions to continue exploring. But this week was different. I visited the National Gallery, Greenwich, and a disappointing Douglas Coupland exhibit on Canadian identity. I also went to see a Rodrigo y Gabriella guitar duo concert in the Jazz Cafe, and sat in two evening lectures at the LSE - one by Body Shop founder, the inspiring Anita Roddick and another by Dr Ordonez on UNESCO's Education For All programme.

So this week has been stimulating - music, art, faith, politics and economics. And to top it all off, I woke up to such a picturesque morning. From the kitchen window, the snow kissed trees looked glorious. Times like this, I look out the window satisfied. Doubts about London seem strange and even inappropriate.

Meanwhile, back in Canada, it's a sad day; the flags are flying at half mast. It's tragic and my thoughts and prayers will be going out to the families of the four Mounties. God speed.

No comments: