May 21, 2005

bigger than life

I shook Sir Elton John's hand the other day. I met Dame Anita Roddick, Body Shop founder and a woman I admire, in the loo. But the real highlight for me were James, Sarah and some of the other Amnesty employees.

My flatmate Nicky invited me to an Amnesty International event on behalf of her dad who was invited to this exclusive building launch. I knew Elton John was going to be there, as it was so creatively called the Elton John Tour.

Nicky and I walked towards the building and noticed a section where the paparazzi were, which made me wonder how big this event was. We then walked into the reception area where Nicky was naming off TV presenters, comedians, actors, columnists and football players who I did not know. We were giddy, intimidated school girls so we headed to the washrooms, as women often do together. While chatting and touching up our lipstick for the #nth time Anita Roddick walks in. We then were quiet as I was trying to think of something smart to say to her, when she then looked at us and asked if she interrupted anything. I smiled, said no, and very intelligently said, 'you look very familiar to me', as though I did not know who she was. Nice one Anj [note the sarcasm].

The evening started with wine and cocktails, a speech by Elton John, a short play and a testimonial. We were then taken by groups on a tour of the new Human Rights Action Centre. We were then led to a reception area for more wine, canapes and a chance to look at some displays, including an exceptional photo display by Carlos Reyes Manzo, who was a former prisoner of conscience during the Pinochet era in Chile. Elton John gave a closing speech but I kept looking around to see if there was a piano around as I was hoping he would play something, but the evening ended with his speech and a chance for me to go up to him right after and shake his hand, which I did.

There were a lot of 'thank you for your support', which made me a little uncomfortable since I did not support Amnesty financially in the way these people did, but I'm sure Nicky passed on their thanks to her dad.

I came out inspired. Not so much by Sir Elton's speech, or my celebrity host (whose name I forgot); the employees there were the real source of inspiration. This is not an easy job - it takes an idealist to see the worst part of humankind and know they can offer a better world. It was my conversations with them that I will take with me. And the many thanks really goes to them for seeing that a new and just life can be offered to people like Carlos Reyes-Manzo. Cheers.

No comments: