May 23, 2005

the forgiveness project



Forgiveness does not mean condoning what has been done. It means taking what has happened seriously and not minimizing it; drawing out the sting in the memory that threatens to poison our entire existence. In these forgiveness stories there is real healing.

Archbishop Desmond Tutu


The Forgiveness Project is an organisation working to promote conflict resolution and restorative justice as alternatives to the endless cycles of conflict, violence and crime that are the hallmarks of our time.

I found this inspirational website today and am reminded of a fellow I met a year ago in the Rwanda Forum I went to. He was one of the speakers and he talked about his need to forgive the Hutus for the death of his family and for the trauma he had to face to survive.

I have not had to face such personal atrocities yet I know I carry a lot of unforgiveness. I see the violence in my heart and know that it's time to let it go. Yet it's difficult. I have not felt justice. Yes, I was wronged. And nothing has made it right as of yet.

But is that truly what I want? To live with anger, defensiveness and such bitterness that my life and possibly others lives would be robbed of true life?

I know I can forgive. If the Rwandan fellow forgave for the death of his loved ones. If Jesus forgave for his own death.

The Forgiveness Project is about people's stories of forgiveness. I know I'll have my own.

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14.27

No comments: