July 11, 2005

from my journal



I am still really sad about last Thursday's events in London. But I am also impressed at how the situation has been dealt with by the transport authorities and the police. Investigations are still taking place and I do hope that the families of the victims will find comfort and that the investigations move thoroughly and swiftly. Various news sites update the information fairly reguarly, so instead of giving you the details of what happened, I'll write about how I responded on Thursday.

From my journal on Thursday

I think today will be a day I will always remember. I'm finally shaking. I'm sitting in Luton airport waiting to check in for my flight to Budapest. It's packed right now with people stuck here waiting to be able to travel into London. London transport is shut down. Terrorism.

I got into work and heard the news. I'm shocked. I'm not afraid, rather I am shocked, appalled, disturbed, angered, sad but it's only here in this crowded airport that I'm starting to feel it.

It's not the 'it could have been me' thinking or the thought of my own mortality that is disturbing. I'm disturbed because we seem to be fair game. We seem to all be in this war - and not as soldiers, certainly not as generals. We are still civilians.

I'm disturbed because I don't know what to do. I don't know what to say to those hurting. I want to change it.


Lord give me the wisdom. Give the leaders the wisdom.

No comments: