July 02, 2005

live 8

Spent just about the entire afternoon and evening watching the live broadcast of Live8. I was planning to go to today's Make Poverty History gathering in Edinburgh but when my original transportation plan fell through a couple of days ago I decided I did not want to pursue my alternatives - a couple hundred pounds for a flight into Edinburgh, or a 9-10 hr bus ride. Nah, especially not after such an uncomfortable 11 hr plane ride back from Vancouver a few days ago. So instead I made personal history by watching the most tv I think I've ever done in my life this afternoon. If watching the live broadcast of the London concert on TV (with just over 200,000 people!) and the live webcast of the Philadelphia concert (around 1.5 million people!) counts as supporting the movement, then I've done my part I guess.

It was quite spectacular and I'm sure it would have been an unforgettable experience to be in either the concert in London or the gathering in Edinburgh, nonetheless, viewing it all on TV and seeing the global scope gave me hope that we can be a part of something that could change lives in Africa. So Paul Martin - do not disappoint us in Gleneagles.

No comments: