July 07, 2005

Terrorism, Trains, Planes & TS Eliot

So I'll be boarding another plane in the next few hours - maybe. This time I'm off to Budapest for the weekend to visit Amanda and a few other people I met there last year. Rick and I went to Budapest while a friend of his, Jacob, was working with a church there last summer. We met a number of the youth and I'm heading back there this weekend to spend some time with them.

Except all public transportation in London is suspended. Bombs. Explosions. Blood. Smoke. Power failures. Blackened faces. Panic. Fear. Terrorists attacks? Sirens. Two deaths so far. I'm not sure what's happening. No one is sure. I'm at work but have not accomplished anything thus far. Meetings are cancelled. I look out the window and the streets are empty. Whispers around the office. London. Surreal.

'What is that sound high in the air
Murmur of maternal lamentation
Who are those hooded hordes swarming
Over endless plains, stumbling in cracked earth
Ringed by the flat horizon only
What is the city over the mountains

Cracks and reforms and bursts in the violet air
Falling towers
Jerusalem Athens Alexandria
Vienna London
Unreal'


TS Eliot
The Wasteland

'Such elation on one day, and panic the next.' - Bob Bharij, my colleague

No comments: