October 28, 2005

one who steals from death

It's been somewhat of a slow, lazy Friday. Both my flatmate, Danielle, and I are feeling under the weather. I did get some work done, and of course, the word 'some' might even be an exaggeration. I ended up seeing two films today.

Every week my department features a film. This week's film is called Ae Fond Kiss. It's a beautiful film set in Glasgow about a second generation Pakistani who meets the beautiful, independent Caucasian. It may sound cheesy (fortunately I'm not in advertising), but it is beautiful, heartfelt and at times painful.

After the department feature, Danielle and I went home, ordered a couple of pizzas (no wonder I'm feeling ill) and popped in Beyond Borders. Another difficult love story, but this one is set in some of the most conflicted areas in the world. I have to admit that I had a 2-second reconsideration of career choice. This film shows somewhat of the difficulty in humanitarian aid. It was both compelling and intimidating. For a moment I questioned my ability to emotionally handle such difficult situations, and I still do wonder if I'm able to manage - to love enough, but detach enough.

The title of this post came from a line in Beyond Borders. It was a name given to Sarah (Angelina Jolie) by a mother in Ethiopia whose life she attempted to save. It struck me because it reminded me that it is about life. It's about giving someone the chance to live.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

matanay.