October 09, 2005

weekend in London

I'm in London for a few more hours. I spent the weekend here. Given that my weekends from university are four days long, I came into London on Thursday. It's time to head back though.

I came down specifically for my mom's concert here. She and her piano partner, Dorothy, played to a very impressed crowd last night. I was proud of her, pleased that the organisation pulled through, and exhausted after needlessly worrying about it. Now, the distinguished pianists will be playing in Bilbao in a week after my mom spends a few days with me in my new home in Bradford.

So it's back to Bradford this afternoon. I am enjoying university life again. I am looking forward to a challenging, interesting and inspiring year in Bradford. The colleagues that I have met have all had fascinating and diverse histories, sharp minds and positive attitudes, which is intimidating for me but of course is an opportunity for me to learn a thing or two.

I've had classes for two weeks now and I have often spent time in class searching deep into my brain for definitions of certain words and phrases I have heard during the lecture. It's a high learning curve for me, almost having to learn a new language. My combined current knowledge of history, political science, international relations and critical theory seems lacking which is why I foresee a year buried in books and getting to know the library staff.


But worry not, I will not be spending the entire year just studying. It will be a 'balanced' year, whatever the heck that means.

No comments: